Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Best Birthday Surprise Ever!

My 29th birthday was Friday. Birthdays were once something I lost sleep over because I was geeked by them. Now I don't get as excited. It doesn't seem as big of a deal any more. And to be honest, I was having trouble with this year. I have begun the last year of my twenties. Something about that seems weird. Thirty just seems too adult to me. Not like I was a worldly twenty year old partying or living it up or anything...I was pretty boring actually, but it just seems like my youth is slipping away into middle-aged.

Anyway, Friday Eric was going to take me out to dinner and Eric's Aunt and Uncle were supposed to babysit. I left work right away and got Emmett. I soon as I got home my dad called to wish me a happy birthday. We were talking while I was fixing a running toilet when I got a knock on my door. I asked my dad to hold on while I answered it. Who was behind the door...you guessed it. My dad! I was beyond thrilled. I almost cried but didn't. Eric and my dad had been in cahoots for weeks. He wanted to babysit for Emmett while Eric and I went to dinner. He hung out with us on Saturday. It was also great because we had a little celebration planned for Sunday at the park to celebrate Emmett's 1st birthday. We had his party early because Eric works on Emmett's real birthday. My dad was able to go to the park with us and hang out with a few friends and family in Emmett's honor.

Dad and Emmett really enjoyed each others company. My dad could make him laugh like nobodies business. They played a ton and just had fun. It made my heart smile watching the two of them together. I'm pretty sure Emmett was saying Papa for Grandpa before he left. We were practicing. I wish we lived closer or could see him more often so Emmett could get to know him better. It makes me sad when ever we say our good-byes. But I guess it makes our time together more special.

Anyway, it was a terrific surprise. I LOVE having my dad here. It was a wonderful weekend. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present than family. My dad is so great. I miss him a lot already. Good thing we'll see him at Christmas.

No comments: